i like you, mommy


This morning my big boy and I were sitting on the couch, watching "Oswald", eating grapes, and getting ready for the day. Out of nowhere he grabbed my left arm, pulled it close to his chest, squeezed it really hard and said "I like you, Mommy".

I like you, Mommy. Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked into his and I said "oh, Love, I like you too...so, so much!"
There was something special about that moment that I can't really put my finger on. Of course I know he loves me. Those unconditional moments...kissing a bug bite, mending a boo-boo, finding the favored matchbox car. You know, the things a Mommy does because those are things that Mommies do. We say "I love you" all the time, sometimes without hesitance. This time, for some reason, like meant so much more than love.
But this was different, he likes me. He likes me...the way we are together, the way we talk and goof, the way we love on each other, what we have that no one else has. I like you...used far less than love, and seemingly so much more authentic.
I guess this is something you grow to love about your child---and learn to like. All his little quirks, quips, and flashy smiles....and the way he holds you close and professes his like for you. These things make me enjoy every day of being his mommy...and enjoy just being with him.

You know, 'cause I like him.

2 comments:

RainbowsWithinReach said...

Joanna. I've been hunting all around your blogS!!!!! Can't find an email anywhere??? This is your music-lady friend, wanting to email you a FREE copy of my fun "Monster Spary" song.

Email me your email address.
Debbie at Rainbows Within Reach dot com

I think you'll have fun with it!

Joanna Davis said...

Hi Debbie! So sorry, I will email you ASAP. Thanks for sharing!!! I am sure my son will love it :)

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a mother,a wife, and a National Board Certified Art Teacher. My family is my love and photography is my passion!
Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen Tampa Bay 3-Day for the Cure!

Blog Archive

Followers