why i 3-day...

This week Kelly has asked us to share our favorite charities! This is something near and dear to my heart...and something that I think is VERY much a part of building character, so much so that I am the Student Council sponsor at my elementary school and each month my students take on some sort of philanthropic project. For them, it's all about the current events- recently we collected over 120 filled buckets for Agape Flights trips to Haiti, we do a food drive for our local food bank, collect items and food for our local animal shelter, and this month are collecting pennies for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I really think sponsoring and giving back to events like these shows the students (yes, my young ones too!) that many times it's not all about them. That is becoming a HUGE problem these days.

Ahem.

ME? I think I really stretch myself pretty thin when it comes to giving to charities. Probably the one that I am most involved in is the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3-Day. I'm really drawn to events for charity that are physical...and the 3-Day is probably the most physically demanding thing I've ever done to my body. FOUR times. This year will be my FIFTH.

Yes, for the 3-Day you must commit to raising a minimum of $2,300 to walk. There is a $90 registration fee. You buy at least 2 pairs of shoes to train. You try out different sportswear and bras to walk in. If you're like me, you even travel to different cities to walk in. You train for at least 6 months, spending many Sunday mornings waking up before the sun to get "at least an hour in before it starts to get too hot". You walk in rain, freezing-cold temps, blazing hot temps, in pain, sometimes fighting to make it another mile.


The Breast Cancer 3-Day is the most magical, memorable, painful, wonderful, grueling experience I have gone through. The tales of survivors, of mothers, daughters, and friends walking together to show support for those who have passed or those who are still fighting are incredible. Those stories, those faces, and that hope keep your feet in step for 60 miles.
And you know what? The 3-Day is addictive. Obviously. This is my fifth one. The only one I missed in the last 6 years was when I was 34 weeks pregnant with Reece and I honestly thought about going to DC anyway.
Why do I walk? I walk because I can, but also because I don't want someone to have to walk for me. This past August I found a lump in my breast. I had it removed and biopsied, and luckily, for me, it was benign. It was the scariest thing I think I have ever had to endure. Cancer is SO scary. As long as I have the time and energy to devote to training....I'll be walking.

See you on the road!

4 comments:

Lesli said...

That is amazing.. I would love to do this one day!! Congrats on all of your walks oh and it is so wonderful that you are encouraging teens in the giving process!

Claire @ Completely Claire said...

I found your blog on Kelly's Korner! I want to walk in the 3-Day. Lost my grandma to BC and have a true passion for the disease and finding a cure! I was inspired by your post! Thanks for sharing! :)
Love,
Claire

Anonymous said...

You are inspiring!!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

From one 3-day person to another--way to go! We'll be back for our 3rd 3-day in Minneapolis and we have 1st fundraiser in 2 weeks. : ) Good luck to you on year #5 WHOOO!

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a mother,a wife, and a National Board Certified Art Teacher. My family is my love and photography is my passion!
Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen Tampa Bay 3-Day for the Cure!

Blog Archive

Followers